Sunday, February 24, 2008

Sad News....

Sorry I have not posted in awhile...We have had a rough week here. My sweet boy Clancy was diagnosed with Cancer this past week and I am crushed. He is 12 years old and has lived a wonderful, happy life but I am not ready to let him go. I took him to the vet two weeks ago for a nail trim and the vet noticed a lump under his neck. She put him on anitbiotics for a week to see if that would reduce the lump and when that did not work, she decided to do a biopsy. The results came back postive for carcinoma, most likely of the salivary gland. When she did the biopsy, she said the tumor was surrounded by the Carotid? artery, the jugular vein and various other nerves and that removal would be very difficult and risky for an older dog. I think I am in denial at this point because he still seems so healthy and spunky right now. The only indicator I had that something was off was some pretty drastic weight loss that I thought was from the diet I put him on. I just don't feel like chemo is an option when the end result would be the same, only a year later with a very sick, unhappy dog. I am taking him to see an oncologist this week mainly to try and find out where we stand with the illness and how long we have before he starts to decline. I don't want my boy to suffer and I am concerned with how my daughter is going to handle his illness. I guess we will have to trust that Clancy will let us know when it is time. Please send your thoughts and prayers to my sweet Clancy...

No comments: