Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Have you checked out "Wide Open"?

This is Randi Feuerhelm-Watts new book called "Wide Open" and I am loving it! I met Randi on the internet about a year ago and she sort of turned me on to mail art....We swapped mail art and I bought a few of her zines and became a big fan of her work. Well, I just bought her new book the other day and I have to say it has really inspired me not only to work in my journal but also in my art and photography as well. Instead of being in a book format, it is in the form of a deck of cards and each card has an assignment or suggestion for you to try. The prompts really get you to start thinking outside of your box and lead you in directions you may not have taken on your own...If you like to journal or want to approach your art in a different way, I say get this book! Here is one of the assignments I just did...It was a self portrait challenge where you get a barbie doll and label it with all of you feelings about your body and then decorate the barbie how you want to express yourself or maybe how you would like to be...I never realised how many negative self images I had until I started writing on that doll...After you finish the doll you are supposed to photograph it and put the image in your journal and write about it. Here is my journal entry....Thanks Randi, you are amazing!



2 comments:

Linda O'Neill said...

Oh my god...you made my day with THIS one, Jill! You had me laughing with "Time and gravity are working against me and it is really starting to piss me off..." HA!

What a great journal project and a very cool new book. Now I have to find myself a Barbie. xox

Maija said...

Yeah, I also have days like that... I'm no Barbie!