Monday, April 07, 2008

Costa Rica...the rafting incident....

While we were in Costa Rica, we decided to go white water rafting again since we enjoyed it so much this past summer...We had a great time even though I am convinced we had the Kamikaze raft guide from hell...he was really sweet and knowledgeable but a bit reckless when it came to the actual rafting part of things. Long story short, he pitched me from the raft while going down the largest Class 3 rapid of the trip by going over the rapid sideways...of course it was all caught on camera for your enjoyment...I was scared to death at first because I thought the whole raft had tipped and my nine year old was in the water as well...when I came up the first time and saw that she was still in the boat I felt 100% better until I started slamming into all the submerged rocks as I was sucked down stream. OMG, I am too old for that kind of abuse....every rock I hit, I was thinking "that's gonna leave a mark". By the time I landed in calmer water and was hauled back into the boat my knee was bruised and bleeding, my back was killing me and every other body part was wondering WTF? I can only equate it to a human version of a rock tumbler...Anyhow...I got back in the boat and had a great time for the rest of the trip, even though I was wondering what this madman was going to do next....he decided going down one of the rapids backwards and slamming us into a wall at the bottom would be fun and then doing the "washing machine" down another which basically spins the boat in circles while going down the rapid and into another wall...I think we are lucky to have survived Vladimir the raft guide. With all it's ups and downs (ha ha) it was a beautiful river and we saw wild Toucans and many other animals..the rapids themselves were really fun besides the almost drowning part...I would totally do it again, just not with Vlad...



Everything is going along fine here...

Then the swan dive...I give myself a "3" for style, form & grace

My sweet husband trying to save me while holding onto the child...impressive...

All I see is that really big rock and I am heading straight for it...ouch

Safe at last....Thanks Hansel!


This is Vladimir one on the rapids, just having "fun"...he was insane....

Caroline having fun at the end after she realised I wasn't going to drown...I will post more photos later when I get a chance...Have a great day! (P.S. - disregard my copyright on these photos, obviously, I wasn't taking these pictures...the photographer was from Hacienda Pozo Azul Rafting Company...like any good photographer he got the money shots!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just had to tell you how much I love your blog. I am 12 and I just started a site on ETSY for my handmade jewelry and a blog about my work. My Mom and I are sitting here surfing around looking at other blogs for ideas. I love yours!! The pictures are incredible. You really inspire me. I'll be back!! Cambria

Archie and Melissa said...

OMG! Jill! Ouch!
You are a tough kid!
Amazing photos and storuy of your day!
Melissa

Maija said...

Oh no, that's a perfect 10!!